The challenge elements are built, the tables are built, the team members have been identified and this Friday the team kicks off!!
Yesterday we had our first parents meeting and it went as well as can be expected, Thanks to all of the patents that showed up. Bonus, we have a volunteer who is going to design the team’s t-shirt. woo hoo.
- The Kickoff video can be found here. I Highly encourage watching it with your team member http://wyngatefll.org/2019/08/01/today-is-kickoff/
- Here are a few videos from last season’s world championship to give you and your member a sense of how advanced the kids could get if they get really into it. http://wyngatefll.org/2019/08/01/world-championship-fll-robots/
- ACTION – need to get a policy for getting people into the building after school ends
- ACTION – need to include secondary contacts on the email list (done for those that have added them)
- ACTION – need to get the tournament dates communicated to folks (in work)
- We talked about what the kids can do at home, here is a post with all kinds of at home stuff kids can do to learn more about FLL (FIRST LEGO League) http://wyngatefll.org/2019/07/24/get-ready-for-first-lego-league-this-summer/
- ACTION – need to know how the funds will be managed we will get that information out to the parents (see below)
- A parent volunteered to help design the team t-shirt
- Several parents may be able to come in and help at the 3:30 meetings. That is awesome! I will check with the school on what needs to occur to make that possible
- Some of the parents wanted a copy of the activity guide, here is a digital copy for you to take a look at https://firstinspiresst01.blob.core.windows.net/fll/2020/city-shaper-game-guide-pdf.pdf
- We talked about how the kids will be judged at competition, here is the judging guidelines and rupric http://www.firstlegoleague.org/challenge?__hstc=212927755.c588485df297a1f93bdd1c139ed25244.1559669506733.1568925274713.1569155453117.26&__hssc=212927755.2.1569421442641&__hsfp=34161874#judging
The Wyngate Elementary School FIRST LEGO League (FLL) Team is being setup as an official after school program. To ensure the program does not run afoul of any of the MCPS rules and regulations in its inaugural year, the staff at Wyngate and the Wyngate foundation have been busy dotting their i’s and crossing their t’s. During this process several potential pitfalls were identified and are being resolved. We are extremely grateful for their diligence on this.
Lots of people expressing interest in the Wyngate Elementary Robotics Program. We received nearly 50 responses to our interest survey. The original plan for the season was to run the team with 10 students to get all of the kinks worked out and than to open the program up to more students in the future. In keeping with that plan we have selected 10 students at random from the interest list and have moved them forward in the team signup process.
To the parents that have not been notified but have signed the interest form, know that your student is on the wait list for the first team of 10. If a spot frees up on that team, we will select a new student at random to be given the opportunity to join.